We want to help you go about Town and the Triangle Region without a car
Vision Statement: We encourage everyone to leave their car at home more often. We help you find and use alternative transportation.
Goal: a healthier community in which to live, work and play. Our work is to help every individual in the community find opportunities to:
- increase enjoyment in commuting – by enjoying the ride, reading more, getting more steps in, whatever makes you happy
- decrease stress from commuting – not worrying about traffic, parking, etc.
- reducing cars on the road and congestion
- reducing carbon emissions
How: Go Chapel Hill is a resource for using any of the three alternatives
- Bus – Chapel Hill Transit offers fare-free bus service throughout Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Additionally, GoTriangle provides service from Chapel Hill to destinations such as Southpoint Mall, Research Triangle Park (RTP), Raleigh-Durham Airport, Durham and Raleigh. GoTriangle has express service as well between Durham and Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, and RTP and Chapel Hill.
- Bicycle – Riding a bicycle is the most efficient and healthy way to travel from place to place, and Chapel Hill is a wonderful place to ride. There are over nine miles of off-road greenways that link common destinations, and many principal roads have bike lanes and/or wide shoulders. Check out a map of roadways and greenways, and be sure to review the basics before hitting the road.
- Walk – It’s amazing how many sights and smells you can notice of your surroundings when you take time to walk. Chapel Hill boasts an extensive trail system, designated walking loops and is building more sidewalks and safety infrastructure every day.
Chapel Hill Transit provides free bus service in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the University of North Carolina. Visit the website for a routes, route schedules and updated arrival information.
Go Triangle is a great resource for alternative transportation in the Triangle region. Go Triangle’s interactive Trip Planner provides you with step-by-step instructions for making a trip by public transportation anywhere in the Triangle. There is also extensive information about ridesharing, bicycling, walking, telecommuting and much more!